While essential oils cannot cure anxiety or depression symptoms, they help treat the symptoms therapeutically. Friends and family members have been using essential oils to help with symptoms such as allergies, appetite, and indigestion, which piqued my interest in these little nature containers of goodness. Depending on the essential oil and what you’re using it for, you could inhale them, diffuse them, apply them topically, or ingest them.
NOTE: Essential oils are not substitutes for medication.
After some research and experimentation, here are some of the best essential oils that help anxiety and depression symptoms (all were dōTERRA):
- Lavender: This oil is pretty much the panacea for most anxiety/depression symptoms, such as agitation, concentration, mood swings, tension, stress, and sleep. I use it in my diffuser at night, and its calming scent helps me to fall asleep and stay asleep (basically the sandman in a bottle). You can also apply it topically or ingest it via a beverage.
- Lemon: When you’re feeling a bit sluggish or exhausted, put 1 or 2 drops of this citrus oil in an 8 oz. glass of water, and you’ll soon feel energized and reinvigorated.
- Bergamot: A citrus oil that calms nerves (mental, emotional, and physical). You can apply it topically to your forehead, temples, reflex points, or areas of concern. I like to apply it to the bottom of my feet; the feet are very porous, and the oil will circulate through my whole body.
- Ylang Ylang: Fun to say, fun to smell. With its strong floral scent, this oil helps ease negative emotions (jealousy, low self-esteem, and anger), staves off crying and fear, and helps increase positive, uplifting feelings while relaxing you. This funny-sounding oil is also an aphrodisiac and helps to increase feelings of love. Ooh la la. You can apply it topically or diffuse it.
- Peppermint: Nothing says the holidays like this oil. Some of the symptoms of anxiety and depression include indigestion and stress headaches. Rub 1 to 2 drops of this potent oil on your belly for indigestion or temples for headaches, and feel the pain melt away. This oil is strong! You can dilute it with coconut oil or just use 1 drop, which is enough.
Ginger oil also helps with stomach issues, and frankincense helps with memory and mental fatigue. You’d be surprised how a little of this stuff goes a long way. While some essential oils are more expensive than others, they will last a long time if you just use a drop a day or every now and then. While you can buy essential oils at retail stores, many of those oils are diluted with other ingredients and will not be as strong as 100% essential oils, or they cannot be ingested. Reputable online essential oil companies are probably going to be your best bet.
What other essential oils have helped you with anxiety or depression symptoms?
Thank you for reading!